Admissions to HCC

How to apply... Read the requirements below carefully

From the 2016-2017 Catalog

If you plan to enroll at Housatonic Community College, you must be a graduate of an accredited secondary school or hold a State Equivalency Certificate (GED). If you are a mature applicant who cannot meet these requirements, you may be given special consideration based on your qualifications and experience. This consideration must be approved by the President or his/her designee.

To apply for admissions, you must:
1. Obtain an application from the Admissions Office or from a high school guidance office, apply online, or download an application from the web site.
2. Return the completed application with a $20 non-refundable application fee, (personal check or money order), to the Admissions Office, or provide a fee waiver, if applicable.
3. Submit an official copy of your high school transcript (sent from your high school) showing graduation, or a copy of your diploma, or a copy of your G.E.D. Proof of high school completion must be provided before you can enroll in a degree or certificate program. Non-degree students are not required to provide proof until matriculating in a degree program.
4. Submit an official transcript of previous course work to the Admissions Office if you have attended another post-secondary institution (college/training institute).
5. Provide proof of compliance with the MMRV Immunization policy. See section on MMRV Immunization for complete information.(Not required for part-time non-matriculating non-degree students and students taking only on-line courses)

Test waivers may be given for certain exceptions. Please see the section in this catalog on TEST WAIVERS.

Residency Requirements
Per general statutes of CT Sec. 10a-29. (Formerly Sec. 10-329e).Determination of student status.

Per general statutes of CT Sec. 10a-30, it shall be presumed that the establishment of a new domicile in the state of Connecticut by an emancipated person has not occurred until he has resided in this state for a period of not less than one year. See general statutes 10a-27, 10a-28, 10a-29, 10a-30 for full text and related statutes.

Per Public Act 11-43, undocumented students shall be entitled to classification as an in-state student for tuition purposes, (A) if such person (i) resides in this state; (ii) attended any educational institution in this state and completed at least four years of high school level education in this state; (iii) graduated from a high school in this state, or the equivalent thereof, and is registered as an entering student, or is enrolled at a public institution of higher education in this state, and (B) if such person is without legal immigration status, such person files an affidavit with such institution of higher education stating that he or she has filed an application to legalize his or her immigration status, or will file such an application as soon as he or she is eligible to do so.

Admission Dates
Individuals interested in enrolling at Housatonic should apply for admission as early as possible. Students are admitted on a first-come, first-served basis.
Students entering Allied Health programs are admitted only for the Fall semester but may enroll earlier for their prerequisite academic core courses under the General Studies program.
Application forms and other information about applying for admission can be obtained from the Admissions Office (LH-A106) by a personal visit to the office at 900 Lafayette Boulevard, on the web site at, by calling 203-332-5100, or by mail to:

Admissions Office
Housatonic Community College
900 Lafayette Boulevard
Bridgeport, CT 06604-4704



From the 2016-2017 Catalog

Measles/Rubella Vaccine Requirement

Connecticut General Statutes Section 10a – 155.

Beginning August 1, 2010, all incoming freshman are required to show proof of Measles, Mumps, Rubella, Varicella immunization.

STUDENTS ARE EXEMPT from showing proof if:

  • born before January 1, 1957
  • taking online courses only
  • part-time not matriculated

Official Documents include:

  • Physician’s documentation of inoculations.
  • Blood work indicating immunity.
  • A physician’s certification that the student had the disease.
  • A physician’s certification that inoculation is medically contraindicated.
  • A signed statement that receiving immunizations is against your religious beliefs.

The first Measles, Mumps, Rubella, and Varicella inoculation must be after the student's first birthday. A second MMRV inoculation is required and must be at least thirty days after the first. 

Documentation must be submitted before registration A Proof of Immunization form may be downloaded from the Admissions section of the HCC web site at and submitted along with your application for admission.

Lafayette Hall Rm. A113.
Phone: 203-332-5048 or 203-332-5062
Fax information to 203-332-5063.

From the 2015-2016 Catalog

Admission of Senior Citizens & Veterans

Student Senate

The Student Senate is the leadership and government arm of the student body. It represents the entire student body on matters relating to the welfare of students. Its committees and the clubs/organizations which it charters, offer social, cultural, and awareness activities funded by student activity fees. Procedures for scheduling these activities are available from the Director of Student Activities and in the HCC College Policies section of the Catalog.

From the 2016-2017 Catalog

Admission of International Students

Each of the steps listed below are critical for enrolling International Students and must be followed:

  1. You must have the equivalent of an American high school diploma and must present official copies of all academic records with the application. College transcripts and high school diplomas in a language other than English must be accompanied by certified translations from an accredited agency such as WES (World Education Services, Inc). All foreign students, except those from countries where English is the only official language, must demonstrate proficiency in the English language by taking the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). A minimum score of 173 on the computer based test, 61 on the internet based test or 500 on the paper based test is required. Information and registration forms for this test are available at American Embassies, Consulates, and offices of the United States Information Service, or by writing to Test of English as a Foreign Language, Box 899, Princeton, New Jersey 08540. Since the college has no housing facilities for students, prospective foreign students must give written evidence, along with their application, of their residence plans and means of supporting themselves and paying for college tuition and fees while in the United States. All of the above-mentioned credentials should be submitted to the Admissions Office at least three months before the requested date of admission. This school is authorized under Federal law to enroll non-immigrant alien students.
  2. You are also required to include a copy of your High School Diploma or Official High School Transcripts. High School Diplomas (only) can be submitted in another language,  but must be evaluated to show that they are equivalent to a U.S. high school diploma. Official transcripts must be in English showing your academic course work completed at your high school and each college where applicable. (Official transcripts - all course work must be translated into English in order to be evaluated.) These credentials are evaluated in accordance with the college’s general admissions requirements. Foreign college credits must be evaluated by accredited agencies such as World Educational Services (
  3. A notarized letter of residence must be submitted stating your intended local residential address in Connecticut while attending Housatonic.
  4. You, the prospective international student, friend, relative or sponsor must provide a (notarized) financial affidavit letter. A letter stating who will be responsible for your total college expenses. (IMPORTANT: This letter must state the total and exact expense amount. The government requires proof of your cost of living expenses, tuition, fees and books.) Note: Housatonic is a commuter school; there are no housing facilities for students.
  5. Financial Proof: Referring to #4, The Sponsor for the applicant must provide financial proof that they are able to do this. Financial proof: recent bank statements, notarized letter from the bank stating you presently have sufficient funds and/or equity, or scholarship certificates as proof of financial support totaling the exact tuition and fee amount. This must be in US Dollar equivalency.
  6. Copy of Current passport/I-94 card (only for students who have a passport). You must bring the original and we will make copies of the front and back.
  7. The college awards no financial aid, nor does the college make housing available.
  8. International students are required to attend full time and will pay out-of-state tuition and fees.

The Admissions Office assists anyone needing further program information. A personal interview is optional, and those who wish may make an interview appointment by contacting the Admissions Office at 203-332-5100 or Email.