Admissions to HCC

Information for International Students

There are TWO files required for International Student admission, you must download and submit BOTH of the following:

From the 2016-2017 Catalog

Admission of International Students

Each of the steps listed below are critical for enrolling International Students and must be followed:

  1. You must have the equivalent of an American high school diploma and must present official copies of all academic records with the application. College transcripts and high school diplomas in a language other than English must be accompanied by certified translations from an accredited agency such as WES (World Education Services, Inc). All foreign students, except those from countries where English is the only official language, must demonstrate proficiency in the English language by taking the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). A minimum score of 173 on the computer based test, 61 on the internet based test or 500 on the paper based test is required. Information and registration forms for this test are available at American Embassies, Consulates, and offices of the United States Information Service, or by writing to Test of English as a Foreign Language, Box 899, Princeton, New Jersey 08540. Since the college has no housing facilities for students, prospective foreign students must give written evidence, along with their application, of their residence plans and means of supporting themselves and paying for college tuition and fees while in the United States. All of the above-mentioned credentials should be submitted to the Admissions Office at least three months before the requested date of admission. This school is authorized under Federal law to enroll non-immigrant alien students.
  2. You are also required to include a copy of your High School Diploma or Official High School Transcripts. High School Diplomas (only) can be submitted in another language,  but must be evaluated to show that they are equivalent to a U.S. high school diploma. Official transcripts must be in English showing your academic course work completed at your high school and each college where applicable. (Official transcripts - all course work must be translated into English in order to be evaluated.) These credentials are evaluated in accordance with the college’s general admissions requirements. Foreign college credits must be evaluated by accredited agencies such as World Educational Services (
  3. A notarized letter of residence must be submitted stating your intended local residential address in Connecticut while attending Housatonic.
  4. You, the prospective international student, friend, relative or sponsor must provide a (notarized) financial affidavit letter. A letter stating who will be responsible for your total college expenses. (IMPORTANT: This letter must state the total and exact expense amount. The government requires proof of your cost of living expenses, tuition, fees and books.) Note: Housatonic is a commuter school; there are no housing facilities for students.
  5. Financial Proof: Referring to #4, The Sponsor for the applicant must provide financial proof that they are able to do this. Financial proof: recent bank statements, notarized letter from the bank stating you presently have sufficient funds and/or equity, or scholarship certificates as proof of financial support totaling the exact tuition and fee amount. This must be in US Dollar equivalency.
  6. Copy of Current passport/I-94 card (only for students who have a passport). You must bring the original and we will make copies of the front and back.
  7. The college awards no financial aid, nor does the college make housing available.
  8. International students are required to attend full time and will pay out-of-state tuition and fees.

The Admissions Office assists anyone needing further program information. A personal interview is optional, and those who wish may make an interview appointment by contacting the Admissions Office at 203-332-5100 or Email at HC-webadmissions@